11 October 2009

i've got the setlist, you pop the popcorn

halloween, logan circle style

Welcome to October, home to your favorite holiday and mine! This year's festivities promise to be even more fun-filled and fan-fucking-tastic than most... but more on that later. For now, let's return to my most recent post, when I dangled the promise of mixed-media mix tapes in front of you.

Here, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls... is your first installment.

In honor of that holiest of pagan holy days [oxymoronic overtones most definitely intended], I present you with my own personal Halloween Hit List, aka the perfect movie playlist to get you through All Hallows Eve. I recommend that these films be enjoyed from the floor or the couch — blanket optional, but the lights should be off for sure. Pumpkin carving completes the experience, as does the baking of pumpkin seeds.

Beer helps, too.

Oh! In case you were wondering, the titles listed below come in no particular order. And candles contained within fresh jack-o-lanterns are acceptable. But otherwise, lights out!

5. the nightmare before christmas



...'nuff said.

Seriously though, it's the perfect way to kick the holiday off right for a plethora of obvious reasons. Plus, it lends itself to rapturous repeated viewings straight on through to xmas; what more could you ask for? Bonus: The DVD bonus features, obviously. Personally, I can take or leave Frankenweenie, but if you've yet to give Vincent a go, I strongly recommend that you do. If for no other reason, it's Halloween, and you owe Vincent Price that much.

4. edward scissorhands



Again: Tim Burton, Vincent Price. Pretty sure that says it all, so we'll leave it at that.

3. the lost boys



Vampires, Santa Cruz, Coreys Feldman & Haim... If the mere mention of this movie doesn't make your heart skip a beat, I'm sorry, but I just can't help you. In fact, you should probably go.

No, seriously. Beat it.

We'll wait...

...

...are they gone yet?

Good. Moving on.

2. halloween




Really, I'd probably spring for the Rob Zombie remake left to my own devices, but for all intents and purposes, it amounts to the same regardless. As long as it's got that dissonant trochiac meter music, you're in good hands.

1. it's the great pumpkin, charlie brown

 


The quintessential holiday classic. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. And bonus points for a new twist on the classic football gag, involving that scariest of ghoulies and ghosties and long-legged beasties... contract law!

And there we have it: my Halloween Top 5! If there's enough of a public outcry [and by "public," I mean the three or four people actually reading], maybe I'll do a supplement closer to the Big Day. And if I forgot any of your favorites*, feel free to comment or drop me a line to let me know [and give me some canon fodder for round 2].

Cheers!

* NOTE: No zombie-related films were considered in this ranking of Halloween favorites. To be clear, these are more appropriately viewed at Easter. Stay tuned for Spring... and brains!

2 comments:

  1. we watched two of those last halloween!!!! miss you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we did indeed! & we get to have an amazing halloween this year!

    i smell a tradition brewing...

    ReplyDelete